Marine Biology 2012
Tuesday, April 3, 2012
Scheduled Events for Today:
9:00 – Mollusk seminar (all first-year students must attend)
10:30 – Group project planning seminar (all students must attend)
Bouganvillea – 1:00 to Quarry (SPV – Z. Holsopple drive both ways)
Seagrape – 1:00 to Quarry (SPV – Z. Holsopple drive both ways)
Tree House – 1:30 to GMF
128B – 3:00 to Quarry (SPV – M. Borger drive both ways)
Turtle Nest (136A&B) – 3:00 to Quarry (SPV – M. Borger drive both ways)
- Meet at GC building ahead of your excursion time. Have your snorkel gear ready by the scheduled time. Please be ON TIME for your excursion. Other groups are depending on this.
- At the quarry, you should observe two habitats – the human-made walls of the quarry as well as the mangroves that line part of the quarry.
- Space in the SPV is limited. Therefore, we are asking that only students and their instructors go to the quarry today. Others are welcome if they can use personal vehicles to get there (or if there ends up being space on the SPV).
- The SPV will all be in use this afternoon for excursions.
- After using an SPV, please get the keys back to room 140 as soon as possible.
- Instructors need to have a special activities license on each excursion.
- If you ordered a T-shirt and have not yet picked it up, please do so ASAP. They are in room 140.
- There will be coolers of water and Gatorade available near the Tree House. If you have your own reusable cup, please use it. If not, see Christy for a cup that you can use and reuse.
Keeping Pace with Your Work:
- Check the board outside of the Tree House for today’s list.
- Three habitat profiles – GMF, Mangroves, Human-made
- Five seminar worksheets should be completed – Porifera, Cnidaria, Molluska, Annelida, Echinodermata.
- 2-3 Ecological profiles completed (in addition to the one completed inGoshen)
- All algae classifications
- All water quality work (except BOD and WQI)
- Molluska lecture: Z. Holsopple & Duane Kauffmann
- Photographer: Dottie Kauffmann
- SPV shuttle to GC building in the a.m.: R. Valderrama
- Evening tutoring at GC: Steury
- Night duty: Harl and Lederach