Marine Biology 2012
Wednesday, April 4, 2012
Scheduled Events for Today:
5:45 – Trip to theDry Tortugas
9:45 – Trip toJohnPennekampState Park
5:30 – Seafood Bliss Common Meal
John Pennekamp Excursion:
- All first-year students will be on this excursion.
- Pack a sack lunch at breakfast.
- We will leave by 10:00 a.m. Board the bus prior to this departure time.
- We will arrive at JPSP by 11:00 a.m. and eat lunch before boarding the boat.
- The boat leaves for the coral reef at 12:00.
- If you are prone to motion sickness, take Dramamine.
- The boat returns from the coral reef at approximately 3:00. We will have beach time at JPSP until approximately 4:30.
- You may want to take money or a snack along for the beach time. There is a gift shop/snack shop at JPSP.
- Remember to stay hydrated! Coolers with lemonade and water are available under the Tree House.
- When working at the GC facility, please be sure to clean up after yourself.
- There is a 10:00 noise ordinance here. Even before 10:00, please be conscious of your noise level and be considerate of others.
- If you are working with permanent markers at the motel, please place something under your work so the markers do not bleed through and damage the floor or other surfaces.
Keeping Pace with Your Work:
- Check the board outside of the Tree House and the GC building for today’s list.
- Four habitat profiles – GMF, Mangroves, Human-made, Coral reef
- Five seminar worksheets should be completed – Porifera, Cnidaria, Molluska, Annelida, Echinodermata
- 4 Ecological profiles completed (in addition to the one completed in Goshen) – Students are reminded that they need to coordinate with their groups on these profiles. There may be no duplication of specimens used for ecological profiles within the same eating group. Students will not earn credit for duplicated specimens.
- All algae classifications
- All water quality work (except for BOD & WQI)
- Group project should be underway.
- John Pennekamp leaders: Weaver’s, Holsopple, Borger
- Dry Tortugasleader: Harl, Valderrama
- Photographer: Dottie Kauffmann
- Evening tutoring at GC: Ch. Weaver
- Night duty: Mast’s, GHS Staff